Granger Parks and Rec Board Meeting, Wednesday October 3, 2018
- General Agenda Items:
Call to Order: Jeri Wendzel called to order at 7:01p.m.
Roll Call: Present – Carla Drennen, Jeri Wendzel, Jennifer Kopp, Ryan Castro, Erik Smith
Members of Public – Jennifer Harned (Parks and Rec Director), Brad Feick
Approval of the Agenda – Erik Motions, Jenn 2nds
Approval of April 23, 2018 Minutes: Carla motions, Jenn 2nds
Public Forum- None
- Board Discussion Items
- Director Report:
- Beggar’s Night: We will continue to have Beggar’s Night on October 30th in order to keep it consistent with previous years and clear up some questions. This should help us clear up confusion on timing in upcoming years.
- Business Experience: First assignment for Justin Wheeler and Emma Drake was to recruit more businesses for our spring guide.
III. Program Guide: It will hopefully be in the mailboxes this weekend. They will also be sent home with all of the students at the Elementary and ELC. We will also launch our new software for registration.
- Fall Workshop: Jennifer attended the fall workshop in fall this past September. She gained new ideas in order to prepare even better grant requests. There was also active shooter training that is good for everyone to be more aware of, regardless of your career.
- Playground Maintenance Course: Brad and Jennifer both attended the Playground Maintenance Course. They gained great information about safety and course books to review for the future. The average life for playgrounds is 10-15 years depending on the environment. One of our playgrounds is past that timeframe.
- Flag Football: How many weeks should we cancel flag football because of rain?
- If we cancel this Sunday, cancel it altogether.
- Have a refund policy prepared. Or, be prepared for questions about this.
- Other options
- Leave it to the coaches
- Give deadline of time, after that point, leave it to the coaches.
- Parents will have a voice if they are at the game when the decision is made on whether or not we will play a game.
VII. Peak Performance
- Would like to build a baseball field on 5 acres close to our new Grandwood facility.
- They would run a team built of hand-selected kids.
- Weight-lifting/training and conditioning in an area underneath the grandstand.
- Private business for non-profit.
- City will not benefit in lucrative sense.
- May provide more traffic
- They have given this pitch to City Council who seems to approve.
- Possibly community membership
- CCRA/Parks: Currently, out of our 2018/2019 fiscal budget, Parks is 23% spent, and the Community Center is 9% spent.
- Grants Update:
- Adam Fendrick From Polk County Conservation brought a map of the proposed trail that would begin Jester Park and end at Windcrest Dr. He is asking 3 property owners to annex to the city of Granger. However, one of the families is out of state and the land is being rented. Knapp Properties is hopefully on board. All that we, as the board, need to do is give our approval.
- Brett Douglas from Genus Landscape Architects has a plan and approval for a grant of about $20,000. In order to successfully complete the Trail Hub, we will need about $50,000. In one month, we will have a refined version of the design development. We will also have a bidding-site prep plan. Will go to city council wednesday.
III. Board Action: None
- Old Business: None
- New Business: Next meeting will be Wednesday, November 7, 2018 at 7PM
VI Adjournment: All Ayes to Adjourn
Erik motions, Jenn seconds, meeting adjourned at 7:45 p.m.
Submitted by Jennifer Kopp, Secretary