Granger Parks and Rec Board Meeting, Monday December 10, 2018
- General Agenda Items:
Call to Order: Jeri Wendzel called to order at 7:00p.m.
Roll Call: Present – Jeri Wendzel, Jennifer Kopp, Ryan Castro, Erik Smith, and Carla Drennen.
Members of Public – Jennifer Harned (Parks and Rec Director), Brad Feick
Approval of the Agenda – Erik Motions, Jenn seconds
Approval of November 7th, 2018 Minutes: Erik motions, Ryan seconds
- Brent Achenbach-Youth Basketball (3rd-grade and Up):
- Started Youth Basketball League a few years ago and brought in about $12,000 in profit.
- This year, they went through Clive Parks and Rec because it was cheaper and the games are only on Sundays.
- Currently, he organizes the teams and sends them to Clive. They run almost everything else
- He runs registeration, orders supplies, and recruits volunteers.
- They play in Waukee and host some:
- He typically has 10 to 12 on a team which caused more difficulty.
- He has hired more referees this season
- Including High School Basketball players.
- League games and I-35 games could be travel games if interested.
- There are two seasons:
- 1st Season: October to December.
- 2nd Season: January to the end of February.
- It costs $575 for team.
- Fee of $100 for a child.
- Everyone in the league would be registered and receive a jersey.
- Bret is still interested in helping coach if needed.
- He would also like to see the profit go back to basketball
- Jen would like to have him come in for coaches meetings
- We could have him organize the tournaments and we could registration.
- Or, the city could be contracted out for registration
- We could get to have more gym time available to benefit our K-2nd-grade Basketball League, if Parks and Rec ran the program.
- Board Discussion Items
- Director Report:
- Flooring Bids: Number one priority for Jen and Brad everything except the great room and Jen’s office would be redone with a bid at
- Carpet squares may work better in hallway.
- From a cleaning and aesthetic, LVT may be better.
- You could have a run-off rug/carpet that would be a safer option.
- There are two quotes
- Heritage Interiors: Phase 1 Bid is $14,500
- There are two quotes
- Does not include cost of removing toilets or moving furniture
- Mikes: Phase 1 Bid is $15,064 (approved pending background check)
- Does include removing toilets and furniture
- Motioned: Ryan motioned, Jeri seconded
iii. For acoustic panel: Bid was about $5,000
- Painting at Community Center: Board decided colors to paint entire community center.
- Jenn motions, Ryan seconds. All ayes.
III. Nursing Home Sponsorship: A good place to start with our sponsorship. T-shirts are cheap for the Nursing Home.
- Budget 2019-2020:
- Parks: Asking for $18,000 more than what was approved last year.
- Community Center: Asking for about $7,000 more than what was approved last year.
- Captial Improvement: City council is asking for us to present a Capital Improvement Plan. Jen will write a grant in order to expediate adding the dog waste pick up stations.
- CCRA/Parks: Currently, out of our 2018/2019 fiscal budget, Parks is 23% spent, and the Community Center is 9% spent.
- Grants Update: None.
III. Board Action: None.
- Old Business: None.
- New Business: Next meeting will be Wednesday, November 2, 2019 at 7 PM.
VI Adjournment: All Ayes to Adjourn
Erik motions, Jenn seconds, meeting adjourned at 9:28 PM
Submitted by Jennifer Kopp, Secretary